These precautions should be part of your disaster preparedness plan to minimize your risk to damages during severe weather:
- Relocate, digitally back-up or duplicate vital records and files.
- Use waterproof coverings to shield computers, macherinary and other perishable materials.
- Move whatever materials you can off of the floors or move them to another location clear of the path of the storm.
- Place hurricane shutters or plywood over windows and doors.
- Place sand bags in front of ground level windows and doors.
- Secure any overhead doors with padlocks. (cellar doors)
- Check all automatic sprinkler valves and pumps to make sure they are operational.
- Check and fill all emegrency generator fuel tanks.
- Anchor any outside structures that could becomes airborn during the storm or move them inside. (children's toys, playground equipment, tables etc.)
- Inspect roof drains and make repairs if needed.
- Check roof-mounted HVAC equipment and vents to make sure they are securely in place.
- Shut down all non-essential electrical equipment to prevent surges and damage to equipment.
- Shut off the gas supply to buildings.
- Prepare and fill above-ground tanks with water.
- Shut off any equipment with flames.
- Clean out catch basins.
- Isolate chemicals or products that can react if mixed.