A carelessly discarded cigarette, thrown onto the second-floor porch is being blamed for the blaze that destroyed a triple-decker home in Dorchester over the weekend.
Five children and four adults were displaced by the fire, including a 13-year old boy who suffered burns on his head and feet after after helping his mother escape the inferno. Five firefighters were also taken to area hospitals with a variety of non-life threatening injuries caused by the three-alarm fire.
The early morning fire tore quickly through the dwelling, destroying the roof and causing pieces of the building to topple down onto residents' vehicles.
Boston Fire Department spokesman Steve MacDonald estimated the fire caused $500,000 in damage.
Brownstone Insurance offers educational materials, including emergency plans and safety information to all of our clients. Click here to quote your property with Brownstone, and rest assured that your property is in good hands when a tragedy like this occurs.