Did you know that water damage is the #1 cause of insurance claims? Damage caused by water far outnumbers fires, wind damage and any other hazard that could potentially cause damage to your home.
Here are some important water damage DON'TS to keep in mind when dealing with water damage:
- Don't use your regular vacuum to try and remove water.
- Don't operate electricity while in the vicinity of wet carpet or floors, including wet concrete.
- Don't use heat to try and dry interior surfaces as this could spur mold and mildew growth.
- Don't use a fan to speed up the drying process if there is mold present, as the fan could help spread mold spores.
- Don't walk from a wet area to a dry area, as you can track water, mold and other contamination into an unaffected area.
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Clean and dry them as soon as you are able.
- Don't wait too long to seek professional help if the damage warrants it. Bacteria, mold and mildew growth can begin quickly following water damage.