Space Heater Blamed for South End Fire

space heater.jpg

Seventy-five residents were forced from their homes inside a South End apartment complex this morning after a space heater ignited a bed that it was located near.

The blaze was very smoky, but fairly small, so Boston firefighters were able to extinguish the flames quickly, containing it to the 3rd floor Tremont Street apartment.

No injuries were reported, and residents were ushered into MBTA buses and different parts of the complex to keep warm while firefighters worked.

Officials estimated $10,000 damage, including possible water damage to  the apartment below. The majority of the residents were able to return  to their homes this morning.

Moral of the story: do not leave space heaters unattended or on for extended periods of time. Going to bed with a space heater on is definitely not a good idea. Also, do not place them near any flammable materials.