The Fourth of July means one thing for many families: barbecuing. What else does this mean? Fires. Accidents. Disasters.
Take this news story for instance: A family in Lawrence lost their home and narrowly escaped serious injury when their home became engulfed in flames by a grill that was too close to their home.
Neighbors believe grease from the grill may have ignited and caused fire to spread from the grill to the porch and finally engulfed the entire home. The family of 4 were on the front porch of their home when the propane tank exploded, prompting the quick reaction of neighbors to alarm the family to what was going on in the backyard.
Fire officials recommend placing grills at least 10 feet away from your home, decks, trees or anything else that could be ignited and to always keep a watchful eye on the grill while in use.