July is upon us and for many that means spending more time in their backyards and pools. It's important to take pool safety seriously, as accidents related to swimming pools are commonplace during summer months. Children need constant supervision and safety features should be utilized correctly to ensure a safe, fun summer for everyone.
Here are some simple things you can do to ensure your family enjoys your residential pool this season:
- Always watch children when they are in or near a pool or spa.
- Enroll children in swimming courses or teach them basic water safety tips.
- Have a portable telephone nearby at all times.
- Learn to perform CPR on children and adults and update those skills regularly.
- Install a four-foot (or taller) fence around your pool and use self-closing, self-latching gates to ensure children never use the pool when they are not supervised.
- Install pool or gate alarms to alert you when children go near the pool.
- Maintain your pool cover.