Christmas Day Chimney Fire Responsible for 5 Deaths

A fire that started in a $1.7 million Victorian house situated along the Connecticut coastline killed 5Stamford CT house after fire people on Christmas Day.

7-year-old twin girls, a 10-year-old girl and their grandparents were tragically lost during a Christmas morning fire that is now being reported as "fireplace-related" by officials in Stamford, Connecticut. Reports are now surfacing that hot embers from disposed fireplace ashes may have started the fire.

Neighbors in the affluent community were awoke shortly before 5 a.m. on Sunday and rushed outside to see if they could help, but were left helpless as flames quickly devoured the sprawling home. The owner of the home, Madonna Badger, and a contractor who had been working on the home managed to escape the flames, but Badger's three daughters and her parents who were visiting for the holidays all perished. Both Badger and the contractor were trying desperately to re-enter the home when officials arrived, and had to restrained.

The bodies of the three children and their grandparents were found on second and third floors and on the stairway between the floors, indicating that they were trying to escape, fire officials said. And most upsetting, is that fire officials said that the body of the grandfather was found with the body of one of the 7-year-old girls. "He was trying to get her out," said one firefighter.

The severely damaged house was torn down on Monday after the building department deemed it unsafe and ordered it to be razed.

Please take chimney safety very seriously this winter, and take a look at our chimney safety tips to ensure your fireplace is completely safe to use!